Schema Therapy Scotland is pleased to introduce the first 7-module online training course on Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders with Complex Comorbidity. This training can be completed at your own time and pace, with access to the material for 12 weeks from the course start date. A live zoom consultation meeting is also scheduled midway during the program.
The workshop will provide therapists with an opportunity to learn powerful techniques for working with these populations, including those with high complexity and comorbidity (e.g. OCD, rigid personality traits, PTSD). Anyone interested in knowing how to implement schema therapy using mode work, would benefit from this workshop. This workshop aims will train participants in implementing techniques for working with entrenched early maladaptive schemas (including core beliefs) with individuals with eating disorders and complex comorbidity. You will also have an opportunity to learn some ways of adapting schema therapy for eating disorders in a group context. The workshop will provide participants with practical experience and guidance in the use of imagery, chair work and other techniques for change. Videos and demonstrations will be used to illustrate experiential change techniques. Training will specifically include working with vulnerable [child] modes, limited reparenting skills, bypassing avoidant or overcompensatory coping modes, and fighting punitive (self-critical) or guilt inducing thinking patterns that drive eating disorder behaviours. Participants will receive handouts that they can use in their clinical work.
The workshop will offer you methods to cope with these challenging situations and will include:
- Methods to formulate complex eating disorder thoughts, behaviours, urges, & comorbid disorders using schema ‘modes’
- Imagery & chair-work to set limits on self-defeating ’inner critic’ modes
- Recognise & learn to work with common coping modes in Eating Disorders including: Flagellating &, Invincible Overcontroller modes, and Helpless Surrenderer modes
- Empathic confrontation & chair-work to bypass strong coping modes, especially the ‘Overcontroller’ and ’Detached Self-Soother’ modes
- Working with clients who are reluctant to participate in experiential work & to connect with emotions.
- Methods to access vulnerability & distress in eating disorders in order to enhance healing.
- Enhancing client’s Healthy Adult mode in treatment.
- The latest evidence-base for Schema Therapy with Eating Disorders & common comorbidities
About the presenter:
Dr. Susan Simpson is a Clinical Psychologist and director of Schema Therapy Scotland. Susan works with patients with severe and complex eating disorders in an NHS Scotland inpatient eating disorders ward. Susan has over 20 years of experience using Schema Therapy with complex comorbidity, including eating disorders, OCD, personality disorders and PTSD . She has published several book chapters and journal articles on schema therapy, with a particular focus on the eating disorder population. In addition, she has presented at national and international eating disorders conferences and has provided several workshops on Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders across Europe & Australasia. She is co-author of the book ‘Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders’, Routledge, 2019. A full list of her publications can be found at https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Susan_Simpson/publications
To register for this and other online training courses, please visit:
For enquiries please contact the organiser at email@example.com